Climate Change and Global Warming News and Archives
news links & archives provided on these terms to help find solutions & for posterity
News Home |
| Disclaimer & Conditions for Use
The world's last remaining forest
wilderness is rapidly being lost - and much of this is taking place in Canada, not in Brazil or Indonesia where deforestation has so far made the headlines.
A new satellite study reveals that since 2000 ...
In this remote corner of the Northwest, most people think of gas as something coming from a pump, not a well. But when it comes to energy, remote isn’t what it used to be.The Nez Perce Indians, who have called these empty spaces and ...
Earlier this month, a 20-year-old digging a fire line in the Idaho mountains was killed by a falling tree, making her the 12th person to die in forest
firefighting operations around the country this year. When I attended her funeral a few days ...
Environmentalists and rights campaigners have mounted pressure on the Russian government to rescind the decision to demolish more than 500-year-old woodlands to make way for the construction of a new super-highway linking Moscow
with the ...
Russian environmental activists said Friday they had been repeatedly attacked by security guards and unknown "goons" while trying to prevent logging in a Moscow
for a disputed highway.
The movement to defend the Khimki ...
Environmentalists on Tuesday appeared to lose a protracted battle to prevent construction of a highway through one of the Moscow
region’s last remaining forest
s, just months after President Dmitri A. Medvedev succumbed to a public outcry and ...
The new Moscow
to St Petersburg highway will be built through an ancient forest
outside the capital as planned, a top official confirmed today, despite environmentalists' outrage over the issue.
The controversy over the Khimki oak forest
Homeowners from North Carolina to Vermont will spend the weekend cleaning up from the remnants of Tropical Storm Nicole, which dumped rain-forest quantities of precipitation on their communities over several days.
Some of the eye-popping ...
France's Vinci, the world's largest construction group, said on Saturday it was undeterred by environmental protesters who forced President Dmitry Medvedev to suspend its $1 billion project in Russia.
Vinci is building a 15-km toll ...
For years, environmentalists have risked arrests and sometimes beatings by the police and masked plainclothes thugs in their efforts to halt the construction of a highway linking Moscow
to St. Petersburg that they say would destroy the Khimki ...
SCOTT SIMON, host:
With hundreds of wildfires burning across Russia, environmentalists in Moscow
sounded a new alarm this week. They say fires could spread into forest
s that were contaminated by the Chernobyl nuclear accident in 1986 and ...
Environmentalists say the highway can be built to bypass the old oak forest
, but the authorities and the company responsible for razing the forest
and build the highway, Teplotekhnika, have refused to consider alternative routes.Many ...
The fate of the international Kyoto accord on reducing greenhouse-gas
emissions rests now in Russia's hands.
Prime Minister Jean Chretien officially signed Canada on to the Kyoto protocol
on Monday, saying climate change has to be ...
1) UK-BLAIR WARNED ON CARBON CUTS (BBC)
2) UK-GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS, ACID RAIN DOWN (CNN)
3) US-BUSH ADVISER DISCUSSES ENERGY POLICY (Japan Times)
4) US-DEMOCRATS PRESENT ALTERNATIVE ENERGY BILL (Washington ...
1) KOIZUMI SEES NO AGREEMENT IN BONN (Kyodo, Japan Times, BBC) 2) US WON'T HAVE NEW PLAN FOR TALKS (Washington Post, BBC, CNN) 3) JAPAN FAILS TO BRING US BACK TO KYOTO (Japan Times) 4) CANADA GLOOMY ABOUT PROSPECTS FOR TALKS (CNN, Calgary Herald) ...
1) S-KYOTO ALTERNATIVE TO RELY ON VOLUNTARY CUTS (Washington Post) 2) JAPAN-GOVT WILL STICK TO KYOTO PROTOCOL VOW (Yomiuri Shimbun) 3) EC OUTLINES POST-KYOTO STRATEGY (Financial Times) 4) ITALY-MINISTER DENIES CHANGE OF STANCE (BBC, Financial ...
1) DISMAY AS U.S. DROPS CLIMATE PACT (CNN, NY Times, BBC, The Age) 2) EU PONDERS HOW TO KEEP U.S. IN WARMING ACCORD (ABC, CNN) 3) UK-PRESCOTT BLASTS FREE RIDER BUSH FOR PULL OUT (Observer) 4) UK TO GO IT ALONE ON GLOBAL WARMING (The Independent) ...
1) BUSH REVERSES VOW TO CURB GAS TIED TO GLOBAL WARMING (NY Times, BBC, Times of London, ABC, CNN, WSJ, Washington Post, more) 2) EU-CONCERN OVER BUSH CLIMATE STANCE (NY Times, Financial Times) 3) KYOTO ACCORD MAY BE RATIFIED WITHOUT US-GERMANY ...
1) U.S. REJECTS FRESH TALKS ON CLIMATE CHANGE (NY Times, CNN, BBC) 2) FINAL BID TO STOP WARMING (Independent, Financial Times, BBC) 3) OTTAWA-WARMING TALKS END WITHOUT DEAL (CNN, Washington Post) 4) CLINTON GIVES ...
1) US EMISSIONS DEAL TROUBLES EU (Financial Times) 2) EU AGREES ON TOUGH STANCE BEFORE CLIMATE CHANGE TALKS (CNN) 3) JAPAN-BILL PLANNED TO REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASES (Yomiuri Shimbun) 4) AUSTRALIA-CABINET PUTS OFF ...
US-SENATORS DOUBT PROGRESS ON WARMING PLAN (NY Times) 2) EU-MEETING CUTS WILL BE DIFFICULT (Radio Free Europe) 3) UK-GREEN TARGETS FOR POWER SUPPLIERS (Financial Times) 4) GREENHOUSE TARGET PAINFUL (Australian News Network, AFR) 5) CANADA-CABINET ...