Greenpeace co-founded, has been the chairman of the board, and continues as a prominent member of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), which exists to greenwash industrial logging of hundreds of millions of acres – an area two times the size of Texas – of primary and old-growth forests. In a series of recent case studies, Greenpeace continues its greenwash of old-growth forest logging, still claiming after 20 years of FSC failure that old-growth logging can be done well, and that destroying primary forests somehow helps protect them.  Ecologically and evolutionarily intact old forests cover less than 20% of their original extent. Old-growth forest destruction accounts for at least 18% of anthropocentric carbon release, results in mass extinction, threatens local ecosystems and livelihoods, and according to a soon to be published study may eventually result in biosphere collapse.  With Greenpeace and other “forest protection” NGO endorsement, primary and other old-growth forests continue to be unjustly, inequitably, and unsustainably deforested and diminished worldwide for products such as lawn furniture and toilet paper.  Forest NGOs have protested Greenpeace and other NGO involvement in FSC for over six years, yet been stonewalled and ridiculed, even as Earth's forest crisis deepens.
FSC is utterly dependent upon old-growth logging to meet market demand, with at least fifty percent of its products coming from industrial old-growth logging. Yet only about 10% of the old-growth timber trade is FSC-certified, and the other 90% makes competing ludicrous claims of environmental sustainability, which the public finds confusing. The ecological truth is that industrial-scale logging in tropical primary rainforests and other old-growth forests can never be ecologically and economically sustainable. Greenpeace’s secretive, undemocratic support for FSC greenwashes the entire, much larger old-growth timber market, making it virtually impossible to end such barbaric and ecocidal practices as cutting ancient sacred ecosystems. Anyone participating in the industrial destruction of Earth’s last old-growth forests – be they loggers, banks, governments, corporations, and especially NGOs – are legitimate protest targets, if standing old forests are to maintain local well-being and a habitable Earth for all.
Please demand that Greenpeace and pals end all involvement with primary rainforest and other old-growth logging, resign from FSC immediately, and work exclusively for old forest protection, restoration, and small-scale local eco-forestry. We have been asking Greenpeace politely to stop logging old-growth for the past six years, during which time many old forests have fallen and the fate of the biosphere become more unclear.
I do not wish to receive occasional
short notifications of new action alerts (~3 a month)
In addition to new action alerts,
inform me of major forest and climate policy developments (~2/month), and provide
original environmental analysis (~2/month) (more
Your message is going to
may receive out of office or other emailed replies from protest email recipients.
Review and Edit Message
Greenpeace helps log old-growth forests
Message Title - please edit title and personalize message below (no URLs)
YOUR NAME, EMAIL & COUNTRY ADDED AUTOMATICALLY